Monday, April 10, 2006

April 10, 2006 7:49pm

Let's talk about food.

Good food and good wine are two of my favorite things in the world. There is nothing sexier to me than preparing a romantic meal for two. Well, except maybe Colin Firth preparing a romantic dinner for me.

Food is art. I love cooking. In fact, it was quite a toss up for me to go to culinary school or pursue medicine. Sometimes when I'm really stressed about school I wonder if I made the right choice. But, I suppose any career choice has its stresses.

My problem with cooking, however, is that I never have the proper space or the proper equipment.

My house has a really nice kitchen that's great for cooking. Unfortunately, I'm 500 miles away from that right now. And there's still the equipment issue. Why is this crap so expensive? I had a pretty good collection of stuff when I was still living in Jersey, but a lot of it was, apparently, "on loan" from DB's FreakMom (just came up with that one!) and it was all taken back when he moved out. Not a huge loss since it was all really cheap stuff, but I realized I didn't have so much as a cookie sheet when I got there. But they can have it, really. I've had the food in that house ::shudder::.

But I digress, I'm on a mission now to stock my kitchen with uber cookware! It's all about the Calphalon, Wusthof and damn if i'm not going to get me a Kitchenaid stand mixer before the summer is out. There is a French Apple Tart with my name on it and I'm going to make it!

Williams-Sonoma is the obvious choice for high-end cookware, but any ideas on where to get better prices? Overstock has the cutlery I'm looking for. They occasionally have a calphalon pan or two up also.



Now, on to the subject of wine. Why do I love it like I do? I think because there's a story behind it. It's not like a bottle of vodka that tastes the same as any other bottle of that brand. Wine is slightly different...almost by the bottle. And there's also some skill involved in pairing it with the right food (or is it vice versa? :-) ).

Man, I need to pick some less expensive hobbies!


So what am I to do with picky eaters? Even as a child, I was always eating things that most "normal" kids wouldn't touch. I like caviar, smoked salmon, veal, you name it and I would eat it as long as it came from the New York Athletic Club or The Rainbow Room.

Because of this, I have a really hard time relating to people who won't try new things, or are just plan grossed out by anything that isn't doused in tomato sauce, ketchup, or gravy.

Sadly, mystery man seems to be one of these people. He also has this weird thing about not being able to eat anything that has a bone in it. As long as it's deboned it's fine. Doesn't he understand it cooks better with a bone in it!

I only learned this today. I'm afraid this is going to create a whole new level of complexity for me when choosing restaurants for us to go to. Not to mention the problems this creates when I want to have him over this summer for one of my grill nights. Mmmmm...rare steak and red wine. ::slurp::

Well, I guess I'll just have to break him of that.

People are weird. I don't like dealing with others' weirdness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh. You remind me of me a little.
When I first met Scott...he grilled his steak until it resembled a Firestone tire.
Two months later...I had him eating it rare and dipping each piece into the pinkish butter that covered his plate!
I agree...rare steak...but a beer to go with it instead, sorry!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you babe. I'm all about cooking all sorts of random things and trying new things, though..as much as I like to try new stuff, I also am a picky eater. Weird....