Saturday, April 01, 2006

April 1, 2006 2:31pm

I know....it's been days since I've updated.

The long and short of the week is that I have had a fabulous time at home. Getting to see all of friends has been great. Went out with my mystery man a few times too.

Yeah, I know. That's what you've all been waiting to hear about.

Imagine if Colin firth himself had asked me out and it was everything I every imagined it would be. That's what this week has been like.

Monday night became our night. I was perfectly calm the entire weekend thinking about it. I even squeezed in my mani/pedi and eyebrow wax Monday morning. Picked out the perfect outfit after some consultation with Ellen on the phone. Picked out a place for us to go.

5 minutes before he gets there, I start to panic. I mean, completely panic. Ya know that feeling you get in your stomach when you get really anxious about something? It's half "I'm gonna throw up" and half "I need a change of pants." Well, that's about where I was. Let's recall that the last time I went on a first date I was 17. The fact that I've been talking to my mystery man for months now and that I have known him as a friend for 4 years didn't make this any less stressful. In fact, it probably made it worse because I kept thinking that there was a greater possibility that I could disappoint him.

I decided to wear a pink boat neck weater, jeans, and these awesome strappy3 inch heeled sandals.

I had a plan (of course) for what I was going to say when he got there. Here's how it was supposed to go...
Me: Heyyyyyyy! :::hug:::
Mystery Man: Hi! Oh, it's so good to see you!
Me: It's great to see you too. Come on inside. I'll show you the place.

We were then supposed to proceed into the house where I was going to give him a brief description of what changes were made in each room and include any funny anecdotes about color matching and crown molding.

Then we would go to the reataurant. To make small talk, I would tell him about my drive up a few days earlier.

Here's what actually happened.....
O.k. he's here. Don't throw up. Does my breath smell? I have to go downstairs. Oh sweet Jesus, I can't walk in these heels! I could walk in them a minute ago. Now I look like a 6 year old in her mother's closet.

I open the door for him. I'm about to go into my script (as stated above) when he completely throws me off by speaking first.

Mystery Man: (looking somewhat dazed) You look amaaaaazing. Wow!

Uh....uh.....
Me: Th-th-thanks. He-e-e-y. It's um, great to....
Holy shit he has me in a vice grip. I'm never going to get out of this. My head is going to pop off. This isn't the friendly hug I was supposed to be in. I have to tell him about the house. I'm going to throw up.

Me: Um. So, come inside. I'll show you the place.

We walk inside to my living room.
Is this even my house? I don't have any idea what to say. It's a flippin' room. Who was I kidding thinking I'm some kind of Bob Vila?

Me: So. Yeah. This is the, um, living room.
::silence::
::crickets::
It's green.
And, this is the dining room. It was painted. It used to be a different color, but it was painted so now it's this color. But it was something different when we moved in. Kind of the same color, but not really. I like this one better.

What the hell is wrong with you? You are intelligent and articulate and have the ability to use multisyllabic words like multisyllabic. Use them for Chrissakes!


Luckily, I regained some composure and was able to get through the rest of the house without sounding like too much of an idiot.

Dinner. We should go to dinner. Then I can eat and not talk so much.

Me: So, you ready to go? Let's take my truck.
Mystery Man: Yeah. Sure.

I grab my bag and my keys. I'm heading for the door and....

Oh my God what is he doing? He's kissing me. Holy shit! This was not in my plan. Not in my plan at all!

Forward? Just a bit. But it made the rest of the night so much more wonderful. No more tension. No more nervousness. I was just me.



I saw him twice more this week. He is very, very, very taken with me. Aww shucks!
He really is wonderful, but it's all a bit scary. This isn't supposed to happen this fast. The fact that I have known him for so long and we always had some feeling for each other is making this move along a bit faster than it would if we just met. But it feels right. I'm happy.


I'm going back to school tomorrow. Bah!

No comments: