Saturday, September 23, 2006

September 23, 2006 11:16am

BBM made some good additions to my list in comments.

That reminds me of two more.....

When a doctor prescribes something for high cholesterol, high blood pressure, heart disease, kidney problems, or whatever chronic issue one may have, do not stop taking the pills as soon as that problem is under control.

I'm always amazed when I hear a patient say, "Well, now that my cholesterol is better, can I stop taking the medicine and go back to the way I used to eat?" This is not poison ivy. It doesn't just "go away". If you're better it's because the drugs worked so keep taking them!

Another fun one is not finishing a bottle of antibiotics because you feel so gosh darn great after taking it for a week, why bother for two weeks? After all, the only reason they give you extra pills is so that the doctor's office can make more money on your next visit when you get sick again and need another prescription, right? Wrong. If you don't take everything in the bottle, you might have more bacteria hanging out in you- laying low for the right moment to multiply into crazy monsters that are now immune to whatever you tried to kill them with the first time.

And no, you can't give the rest of your pills to your friend Ethel, I don't care how close her symptoms are to yours. You might kill Ethel and then how would you feel?

No comments: