Wednesday, August 16, 2006

August 16, 2006 11:39am

Why are people so afraid of the word "dead"?  I don't mean having a fear of death, I mean fear or dislike of saying the word "dead".   What is with this "passed away" bullshit?  If something or someone is dead then dead is what they should be called.  The only things that are passed are tests and gas. 

When my dad died I remember calling my sister and saying the words "Daddy died."  There was no question of what happened.  He was dead.  No longer alive.  Ceased to be.

Even in medical school they tell us that if a patient dies and we are informing the family we should clearly say, "I'm sorry, but they died."  We aren't supposed to say "I'm sorry, but they passed away."  or "They passed on."  Also to be avoided are the cruder "kicked the bucket", "bought the farm", "paid the piper", etc.  We are supposed to say the word "dead" because it's real.  It doesn't sugar coat it.  There's no room for interpretation. 

So why is it in general conversation we say "passed away"?  I believe in heaven.  Some people don't.  But even if you do, the person is still dead.  It's their spirit that lives on, but their body is most decidedly dead. 

I want to start a movement to bring back the word "dead".  Don't be afraid of it. 


No comments: