Saturday, April 21, 2007

April, 21, 2007 12:21pm

So I have a new obsession....going green.

I'm not entirely sure why this has happened to me. Growing up, my family was always fairly anti-recycling (because of the effort), and I adopted that philosophy when I moved to a town where recycling was optional.

But I have changed. I think it's because all of the people on tv who are "green" always look so happy and healthy and peaceful. Somewhere in my mind, I associate the use of organic cotton with inner peace.

We'll have to see if it works.

Oprah had a show about this yesterday. She had guests on who talking about all the environment-friendly things that people can do. I was a little bummbed because I already do most of them, and those that I don't do require lifestyle changes that I'm just not willing to make (ie installing low flow shower heads....um...no).

I've been trying to eat organic. I buy exclusively organic dairy products (as long as I can find them) and I buy all the organic veggies I can from the rather sad selection that Kroger offers. I can't seem to find organic meat, but I'm working on that problem.

Next, I'm going to try to switch to chemical free cleaners. I found a company called Gaiam that sells all kinds of stuff like that. Some things they have are way beyond what I'm willing to try (like the toilet water sink) but I'm intriuged by composting. Mostly for the same reason that I like watching my laundry agitate in the washing machine. I like seeing stuff happen, and the idea of seeing my trash break down right in front of me gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling. It might inspire me to garden more because I'll have all that nifty fertilizer right there. I'm a bit concerned about the smell, though. Where the hell does one keep something like that?

I must get back to studying. We have an exam on Monday and I am procrastinating terribly.

No comments: