Saturday, December 17, 2005

December 17, 2005 2:32pm

Today would have been my dad's birthday. Yup.

I've been thinking about away messages today. Mine are usually song lyrics, a quote, or a "where I am" note should I be concerned that someone is looking for me.

So why do people pick the away messages that they do? To be profound? To be random? To be funny? It should be all of the above! If someone is going to take the time to right click on your screen name, you should give them something worth reading.

When I put up song lyrics, I try to use something that conveys what I'm feeling or thinking at the time. Yeah it's corny, but it makes it a little bit more of a mystery than just "I'm sad because..." or "I'm happy because..." or "Sweet Jesus I hate life!" What would be the fun in that? More importantly, if I just put up any random thing then I'm serenading the world and not really conveying a message.

But what is the point of an away message? I don't put a note on my front door with song lyrics or philosophical quotes on it. So why do it on the computer? I think that's where the mystery comes in. You want to tell people something without coming right out and saying it. An away message is the perfect way to do it.

It could be that I just put way too much thought into all of this and everyone else just puts up whatever random thing comes into their head, or whatever song is stuck in their head. Since commercial jingles are pretty commonly burned into our minds, why isn't that a typical away message? I don't wanna grow up. I'm a Toys R Us Kid or that Vonnage song. But I guess that would be too hard to type since whistles don't come across well in text.

Back to Biochem studying....

No comments: