Sunday, November 05, 2006

November 5, 2006 9:43pm

Friday night I went out to the Bowling Alley/Bar with some friends.

Here are two things I learned:
1)Jagermeister = horrible, horrible hangover
2)I am not capable of socializing like a normal person.

The first needs little or no explanation. I wasn't even drunk on the stuff! The second.....

There were these two guys in the back of the bar playing pool beside us. I thought they were interested in Jess and Connie because, well, Jess and Connie are adorable and these guys were hot. Well, no it was me they wanted, or at least one of them did.

So, we got to talking. The especially hot one was named Thomas and he was a marine- now in the reserves. Works at a federal prison nearby. Very nice guy. Asked me about school and where I was from.

Then I freaked out. I went to the bathroom with Jess and burst into tears. Obviously, I'm not ready for this kind of situation and I fell apart. I went outside to get some air. Jess and Maria came out to calm me down. They offered to go tell him to back off, but I didn't want them to do that. I can handle my own problems.

We went back inside and Thomas hung out with us for the rest of the night. I danced with him. I think he could tell I was distancing myself from him, so he didn't ask for my number. When we left he turned to me and said, "Goodnight, beautiful girl."

I know. Let's all say it together, "Awwwwww".

It could have been much worse. He could have been drunk and vulgar.

So here was a perfectly nice guy and I couldn't handle it.

It's ok, I learned something about myself.

I've also never met someone in a bar before, so that kind of made me uncomfortable too.

But more importantly, I'm pissed at myself for becoming "that woman". That woman who cries in bars. That woman whose girlfriends have to help her fix her mascara. That woman who needs her friends to help her socialize because she can't seem to handle it herself.

Argh!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well...ya gotta start somewhere and that's exactly what you did. Next time, you'll be a little less uncomfortable and so forth.
And don't beat yourself up...you've only been "that woman" one time, thus far.
And we've all been that at least once so you're no different from any other woman.
One time doth not make a "that woman"!!!!
Quit focusing on what you think were the negatives of that night and look at the progress you made instead!
I'm so proud of ya!