Monday, March 30, 2009

March 30, 2009 7:59pm

Despite my best efforts to finish up my rotations at home, I had to go back to WV for my Family Medicine rotation. I'm here for 8 weeks (one week down).

Since I gave up my apartment down here long ago, I am calling the Hampton Inn home for the moment. It isn't so bad, actually. Breakfast and hot coffee is made when I wake up. My room is cleaned every day, and I don't even have to make my own bed.

The down side is that I'm living in one room and I don't have a kitchen. Those of you who know me, know that I live to cook (yes, I meant to say "live" and not "love"). I have a tiny fridge and a microwave here. This allows me to make a sandwich, or heat up a frozen burrito, but it is nowhere near the kind of culinary adventuring that I am accustomed to.

I miss Roger and Socrates terribly. I miss my home.

This rotation isn't so bad. The hours are good, and the Dr I'm with is very nice and laid back. I'm seeing some interesting patients, and I learn a new little tid bit of information every day.

But that doesn't make up for being homesick.

On the bright side, I have some time to catch up on reading (both medical and non-medical) and watch endless hours of QVC and Food Network.

On that note, I think that through Food Network, my cookbooks and hours and hours of online research I have managed to give myself a rather extensive culinary education without ever actually setting foot in culinary school.

Ever start to wonder what it is that you really want to do with your life?

Did I make the right choice by going to medical school? These days, all I want to do is create things in the kitchen. I want to have a store where I sell these amazing creations, as well as beautiful jams, jellies, oils, salts and anything else I can get my hands on that tastes good.

Sigh.

No comments: